Saturday, December 14, 2013

Technology Integration Plan




               The lesson I choose to use for my matrix was a lesson on fractions that I taught in my methods class last semester. I choose this lesson because it was mainly student based and I wanted to accommodate the lesson to contain more technology. The first time I taught the lesson it did not contain any technology besides the use of calculators and a projector. I wanted to recreate this lesson to teach the same topic, but this time using technology. This was a challenge for me but I was successful at doing so.
                The first row in my matrix contains a do-now activity, teacher directions, and small group work. First the students will complete a do now activity individually to review the idea of equivalent fractions. This will take five minutes and then I will go over the answers with them as a class on my smartboard. I will then explain to the students the activity that they will be completing in groups, which will be discovering how to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators. I will split the class into groups of 4 and they will begin working collaboratively. In their groups they will be first working with fraction circles that they can write on with expo markers and erase. With these circles they will be trying to figure out how to represent equivalent fractions with these circles by coloring in sections of different circles. This is a visual process that will help them for the next step, on coming up with a procedure to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators. 
                The second row in my matrix contains small group work, me helping each group one on one, experiments, and student collaboration. The students will now be working on an online activity to start the process on discovering how to add and subtract fractions with different denominators. They will go on a site call illuminations and open an activity that allows them to create fractions with unlike denominators. The fractions in this site will be represented in circles or squares, which ever they choose. I will tell them that once they created a set of fractions to add or subtract them. I will tell them to try many different ways of doing this. I will have my students add or subtract these fractions by hand on their white boards and then check their answers in the calculator. They will see if their process was correct or incorrect by using the calculator to check their answer. If they were wrong they will have to try a different way until they get it right, and if they were correct I will have them create a new set of fractions on the computer to try. The students should take multiple tries until they start to discover a method on how to do this process. As students are working I will be walking around to answer questions without giving away the process and to check for understanding. 
                 The third row of my matrix relates to small group work, student collaboration, one-on-one help, student explanation, written procedure, and peer-evaluation. In this step students will be coming up with a step by step process on how to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions. They will discuss their results to the online activity and collaborate on a method that works. I will ask them to write the process on their white boards in steps. To do this they will have to evaluate what their peers are saying and decide if they all agree or not. This will take cooperation and critical thinking from all the group members. I will be walking around to each group to see what they came up with. 
                 The fourth row of my matrix includes a large group discussion, Q&A, teacher assessment, teacher participation, and direct teaching. In this part of the activity the students will have came up with a process on their task. Once every group is done I will ask each group one at a time to share their results with the class through the document camera. They will tell the class what they came up with and the class and I will discuss our opinion on their process. We will then decide as a whole if they are correct or incorrect. Each group will get a chance to share their results. Then as a class we will come up with a master process. I will then go over examples on the smartboard to clarify any misunderstandings on this process. 
                The fifth row of my matrix it involves individual/small group work, student collaboration, and self-assessment. In this last step students will work on the computer and solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators. Here students will master the process and get more practice on solving problems of this type. They will use white boards to record their work and use calculators to check their answers. 




Matrix

3 comments:

  1. Great post! You incorporate so many different methods to help students learn. I think that online websites are both engaging and educational for students; I wish you had added the link to the online website that your students will be accessing in this lesson.
    I like how you mention that you will walk around and monitor your students as they are working. This is great, because as a teacher you can check for comprehension and determine each student's level of understanding.
    The only thing that I would suggest changing is the last part of your lesson. You say that students will use white boards to record their work. White board are fun to use however, work will not be saved. If students need to refer back to how to do a problem, perhaps using a notebook would work best.
    Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I really like your lesson plan and how it aligns clearly in your matrix. I especially like how throughout your lesson plan you have the students working with each other. I feel that collaboration is very important and that students become more engaged. I also like the use of mini whiteboards in a classroom. They are engaging to students and at the same time, the teacher could see who understands the concept and who needs more help. In addition, students see it almost like a game and like writing on the white boards. Overall, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIchelle,

    Your matrix is fairly comprehensive and your narrative makes a logical argument for the uses of your selected technologies. Less clear, however, are your assessments (i.e., "teacher assessment," "self-assessment,"). I'd like to see more explanation about how your assessments generate evidence that students are achieving the specific math and technology standards you list in column A.

    One simple correction regarding the media literacy cycle: production should come after communication. The idea is that students do not achieve media literacy until they communicate (reflect on) what they have produced.

    A larger issue for you to consider is the additive approach that you convey in the first paragraph of your narrative above. Is it appropriate to integrate technology just to use technology? I encourage you to think more deeply about why you should (and should not) use technology in your teaching. The transformative approach to teaching, learning and technology is much more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete